Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Home for the Summer

Or at least until I find a job.
I must say, I'm getting a little discouraged on that front. But hopefully something will work out soon.
I'm missing the roomies. Especially Lori, Kim and Kristi. And the ability to go out at night and not feel like I have to rush home so dad won't worry. Not that I don't appreciate his concern. I do. I just like being able to go out and not have this nagging feeling that I have to hurry home at the back of my mind that's impossible to ignore.
I have been having some fun, though. I went to a dance with my friend Elisha. We met some pretty fun guys and hung out watching some playoff basketball for a while. Elisha and I also went to Provo to play games with some guys she knew. Not quite as fun as the dance, but it was still a good time.
I'm excited for all the fun stuff in store for the summer. It was nice to get together with my dad's family this Memorial Day. I always enjoy our family get togethers. I especially enjoy all the little kiddos running around. They can be noisy, but they are oh-so-cute. I can't wait for Maren and Scott's little guy to join the brood.
In movie and book news, I went to see Fast Five with Wes a couple weeks ago. I actually kind of liked it, which surprised me. I'm not that into cars, and I wouldn't go to it for eye candy (Vin Disel and Paul Walker are really not my type...). But it had an okay plot. It was kinda like Fast and Furious meets Ocean's Eleven, and I can do heist movies a lot easier than racing movies.
I recently finished reading East by Edith Patou. I really liked it. I have to say, I'm developing a bit of an obsession with East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I think it has something to do with the scandanavian roots on my mom's side. Plus, I have always had a thing for Beauty and the Beast stories, which is along the lines of East of the Sun, West of the Moon. East had more of a real world setting than the other re-telling I recently read (Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George). It was set in actual countries, and the author came up with more realistic substitutes for the north, east, south and west winds from the story. It was interesting to have the story told from four or five different perspectives. I'm not always a fan of that, but it worked in this case.
Next up on my book list: Pegasus by Robin McKinley. I'm interested to see how this one goes. I haven't read much of her stuff outside of Beauty and Rose Daughter. I want to read The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword, but it might take me a while to work over to them. I'm easily distracted when it comes to books. Even books I like, like Jane Eyre get put on the back burner when something else I am interested in comes along.
And in the movie realm... Well, I'm mostly just looking forward to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2. X-Men: First Class looks sort of interesting, and maybe the fourth Pirates movie will sneak into my viewing list. But the only one I really have to see is Harry Potter.
It's getting late now, so I think I will wrap up. Hopefully I will have more interesting things to report soon.

No comments: