Thursday, November 13, 2008

Brainless?

So much for writing this thing regularly, I guess.
Some things have been irking me, and I realize most people probably don't care what I think about these particular things, but I feel the need to get some of them off my chest.
I am LDS. My church has been in the news a lot lately for their role in standing against gay marriage in California. Or more specifically, people protesting against my church has been in the news a lot the last few days. And maybe this isn't true around the country, but it's getting a lot of attention where I live.
I realize people are upset about the way things went with Prop 8. But here's the thing. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was not the only group involved in campaigning for Proposition 8. They also do not make up more than half of the population of California. Why are we the only church that (at least publicly) is getting flack for this?
Here's the thing: Protesting the LDS church in Utah or New York is not going to change things in California. The issue wasn't even up for debate in these places, and frankly, the way people have been acting about the whole thing is childish and stupid.
I am not ashamed of my church's role in Proposition 8. I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I have many friends who are gay, and I love them with all my heart. But I do not have to agree with what they are doing, or even pretend that I agree. Honestly, if the situation were reversed, I would want the same from my friends.
I think my biggest problem with this whole thing is that the people protesting are not showing the same consideration they believe they deserve for the members of my faith. Members of my faith are being thought of as cattle who do whatever their leaders tell them to. Really, our church encourages us to make our own decisions when it comes to things like this. So in that respect, I guess you could say we are doing what they have told us to. But we're not stupid.
I suppose I am expecting too much of people. Most of us don't think logically when we feel that we are being attacked. But maybe we should think about the people we're attacking before we say or do something that we'll regret someday.

No comments: