Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Craziness

I can't believe how busy I have been keeping lately.
Monday was super fun! I was so happy we got to go up to Henefer. It was a little bitter sweet, because my friend who was hit in the hit and run a couple weeks ago passed away after her family made the decision to take her off life support. But I was glad I got to see everyone. The parade and the barbecue were lots of fun, as always. I have some pictures that I will try to share later (yeah... I'm bad at updating pictures).
Wednesday was Mom's birthday, and we took a quick trip to Ephraim. It was so much fun! We had a barbecue down there too. Grandma Moore and Aunt Marianne made lemon cake with chocolate frosting. Mom, Grandma Moore, Aunt Marianne and I went on a shopping trip to the Wal-Mart and Ephraim Co-Op. The Co-0p always has such cool stuff. I found these awesome Viking hats that were knit. I wanted one real bad, but I don't have the money right now (they were $15). I should have taken a picture so you could see just how awesome they were. And that was just one of the many awesome things I found.
Thursday afternoon my friend Elisha called to see if I wanted to go camping with her. It was really last minute. I had an hour to get ready. We went up to Garff Ranch up Brown's Canyon (near Park City) and had dinner followed by line dancing/square dancing/country swing. Then there was a campfire. Since it was like 10:30 by this point and we still hadn't set up our tent, Elisha and I decided to sleep in the car. Bad idea. Neither of us slept much. Until after 5 AM. Then we missed breakfast and were late for the hike. We still went "hiking" (it was more like a walk on a dirt road with some parts that were slightly more uphill). Took some pictures (I look really bad on camping trips. My hair is disgusting and I look pretty nasty in most of them. You can check them out on Facebook). Then we went over to Echo Reservoir. Then Elisha and I went home. Early, since we both slept so bad the night before. It was nice to be back in my own bed last night. Oh, and I should mention, one of the guys in Elisha's ward has family from Henefer (Taylors, and another family I can't remember. Pederson, maybe?). Small world, eh?
When I got home, Mom told me the missionaries were coming over for dinner. Well, sort of. We took them out to dinner at a local, hole in the wall, Mexican restaurant that I love (Chubby's). They are the Spanish speaking missionaries in the area we live in, and Dad had asked them if they would be willing to interpret for him during my friend's funeral Saturday. Both the Elders were really nice, and seemed like hard working, humble missionaries.
This morning I got up and went to my friend's funeral. It was kind of surreal. She's not the first person I've been close to to pass away. My friend Kalia passed away in January. I had a classmate that I had know since third grade get killed in the war. And a little boy I babysat died when I was just starting 8th grade. Elvia probably is the one of them that I have known the longest. We were in Kindergarten together and Girl Scouts. We grew apart a little over the years mostly because our lives went in different directions, but I still considered her a friend. She was a kind, funny, outgoing and loving person. And she had a good family. I know this has hit them hard. She was the baby of the family, and they had already lost one child before her. And it's hard because she left behind two little girls ages 9 and 7. But I hope that the people at her funeral today were able to feel the Spirit and feel some comfort in the support of friends and members of the community. Her death was unexpected and tragic, but I hope that those who knew her will be able to grow from knowing her and going through this difficult experience. I was glad I was able to go to the funeral and show them my support and love.
Elisha called again later this evening, and asked if I wanted to go do something with her. I am so glad I have her around to help me get out and do things more often. I would be quite the home body without her. I joined her and our friend Fabien (who is visiting from France) in Sugarhouse and we walked over to Sugarhouse park and walked around the park. We talked a little and sang a little (mostly primary songs, because those were the ones Fabien knew in English). Elisha tried to get Fabien to climb a tree, but he wouldn't do it. Instead we laid in the grass and talked some more, and sang the Hallelujah song (made more popular by Shrek). Some of the conversation was awkward (Fabien felt like he kept putting his foot in his mouth, but was trying really hard to cheer Elisha up). But overall it was nice.
Last week I went bowling with Elisha and Fabien. We hadn't planned on going bowling, and Elisha and I were both wearing flip-flops. We were talking about whether we should go buy socks or if the bowling alley would have socks we could use, and Fabien got confused and was talking about how, in France, they have shoes for you to use at the bowling alleys. It's hard to explain why it was so funny, but it totally cracked me and Elisha up. I really like hanging out with the two of them, and I must admit I have developed a little bit of a crush on Fabien. Sadly, he will be going home in a few weeks, but maybe we'll be able to keep in touch. I'm sure he misses France, especially his family.
Well, I've rambled enough for now. I'll try and do a picture update here pretty soon.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Sounds like a fun week...especially the part about coming to Henefer;) Can't beat the 4th in Henefer! I am sorry about your friend, that is very sad. I am so grateful for the gospel's perspective as I am sure you are.

I am not sure I know the Taylors or the Petersons...chances are I do but if I don't my mom and grandma and granpda know everyone:)