Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Busy Busy Busy

Usually when I manage to keep busy, time passes more quickly. This week has not felt that way to me.
I haven't been super extremely busy, I guess. But I have been basically going to work, coming home, and working on something wedding related every night this week. Tonight I spent my time ironing fabric for a quilt my mom is making for me and Mike. Earlier today I called to make an appointment to go through the temple. That made me feel like things were really happening. Even though I still don't have a date set 100% for sure, we're on our way. And as a heads up, we're hoping early January will work out. Hopefully we'll be getting news this month or next that helps us to pin down the date more.
Yesterday I spent my night trying to figure out how to zip some photo files so I can send them to Elyse. I think I finally figured that out, but I have yet to figure out how well it worked yet. I may have to re-do it in smaller groups.
Despite keeping myself busy this week, though, I have really felt like everything has been dragging like crazy. Yesterday was the worst, and it wasn't helped by people trying to tell me who to vote for and why for ten minutes straight. Frankly, it's not something I really even talk about with my family that much. We make our own decisions about who and what to vote for and don't feel the need to tell each other that this was right or wrong about the way we voted.
Today was a little better. I have learned that I don't mind sharing with people on the phone that I am a member of the Church when they inevitably ask. ("Where are you located?" is what usually brings up the subject). Most people have been very nice about it. And if they ask and I answer honestly, they usually say something like "That's nice." One man shared a story about working at one of our hotels quite a while ago, and placing copies of the Book of Mormon in rooms. I don't think he realized that the Marriott family are members of the Church and that Marriott has often ordered large shipments of copies of the Book of Mormon to place in hotel rooms (I learned this from mom. When she worked for distribution, this was an order she saw on occasion). Usually we move on quickly. I had a nice conversation with one man today, though. He told me about when he joined the Church and shared some stories about other people he knows, and told me he used to attend church with some of the Marriott family. I always like hearing about how people found the Gospel. I grew up in the Church, and I have pretty much always had a testimony of the Gospel, but it's something I am interested in and that I think about often.
Even though today didn't pass especially quickly, it was nice because I got to have that little uplifting moment in the middle of my day that helped keep me positive for the rest of the night, despite the yelling people on the other end of the phone line.

1 comment:

Cara said...

You could just signup for dropbox and put your photos in there. Then, you can tell Elyse the password and not even have to worry about zipping anything.