So, because I woke up super early today (actually, let's be honest, I haven't slept... and I did the same thing yesterday. I have super bad insomnia right now. I did have a five hour name yesterday morning, which probably caused the recurrence last night), I thought I would make another book post. It's been a while since I wrote about good books I have read. It won't be an inspiration book thing, like I've tried to do, but I'll give you little blurbs.
Uglies by Scott Westerfield- I've recently been re-reading this one. If you like The Hunger Games, this might be up your alley. It's about a future in which everyone is given cosmetic surgery when they turn sixteen to turn them into "Pretties". People are sort of brainwashed into believing they are ugly without the surgery, but there is more to it than most people understand. Uglies is the first book in a trilogy/quartet (he wrote a fourth one after calling it a trilogy). Pretties, Specials, and Extras are the other books in this series.
Book of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale- I've told you I Love Shannon Hale. Seriously. I do. The only books she had written that I haven't read are the two graphic novels she wrote with her husband, Dean. This particular one was a re-telling of the Grimm's Fairytale "Maid Maleen" (not a very well know story, but good). I'm a sucker for fairytale re-tellings (something else I may have mentioned... I can't remember). The story is about a princess who is locked in a tower with her maid after refusing to marry the mad her father had picked out for her because she was in love with another man. This one is pretty loosely based on the original story, but you can definitely see elements of the original. If you like this sort of book, I would recommend it. It may even be one of my favorites of hers, although I have a really hard time picking favorites.
Sabriel by Garth Nix - This is a modern fantasy set in the countries of Ancelstierre and the Old Kingdom. It's the first of a trilogy about these countries and the magic that makes the Old Kingdom tick. It's a little tricky to explain, but it involves zombies (sort of) and I think the author does a great job of mixing the magic of the Old Kingdom with the new technology (like late 1800, early 1900 in our world. You might call it Steampunk, to a degree) of Ancelstierre. I'm not explaining this well at all, but it's worth a read if you like books with magic in them. The other two books are great too (Lirael and Abhorsen).
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George- My mom picked this up at the school library and I got sucked in. This is another Fairy tale retelling, based on "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." I loved the way the author worked in elements like Old Norse language (the story comes from Denmark and Norway originally) into the story. Also, just a fun little fact, my Aunt Staci and uncle Larry live about five houses down the street from the author. My cousin babysits for her on a regular basis.
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George - Yep, another fairy tale. This one is based on "The 12 Dancing Princesses," which always used to be a favorite of mine. It's an entertaining read, and the book includes knitting patterns in the back, if that is something you like to do.
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - I read this one because there was recent controversy over it being taught in schools. I had to see what the fuss was. Trust me, there was nothing at all explicit in the book. It does deal with delicate subject matter (rape and depression), but no graphic details are given, and about half the things that were complained about barely appeared in the book at all.I'm fairly sensitive to these things, and it didn't bug me at all. I think it's completely appropriate for high school students, and possible junior high students as well. It's a great way to bring up the subjects in school and have discussions. Or at home, too.
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Final book in the Hunger Games trilogy. Definitely worth reading, especially if you liked the first two. But be sure to read the first two first if you haven't already.
Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins - These are a little more kid friendly than the Hunger Games, but deal with some of the same kinds of issues (war, children being involved in battle). I liked them, but they are definitely meant more for younger readers (the Underland Chronicles).
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C Bunce - Rumpelstiltskin with a slightly more modern twist. It had interesting elements about making fabric, and the curse aspect made the story more interesting.
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forrester- The best description of this I have seen, which made me want to read it, was Stephenie Meyer's review on her website. She said that it was like Little House on the Prairie meets X-Men. I would kind of have to agree. Very cute and funny.
I could go on and on (there were several short stories and books that we read in class last semester that I liked, and I am constantly reading something), but I think I'll end here.
3 comments:
If you could see the original post, you would see how tired I am. I went back and edited though. There's probably still things wrong with it, but it's better now.
I have ready many of those books and enjoy a lot of them too. Have you read Chains by the author of Speak? It is really good. It is based during the revolutionary war and is about slavery and there is a sequel to it that i haven't read yet. You should pick it up. Also, the maze runner by, I think, James Dabner, and also Matched by Ally Condie are both really good Dystopian novels.
I will have to check those ones out. I actually own The Maze Runner, but haven't finished it yet.
Post a Comment