Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pictures, Books, Movies and Such

First of all, I have to apologize to Camille. I am such a space cadet lately, and I really do keep meaning to get you pictures, but it also keeps slipping my mind when I have a few minutes to send them. Feel free to steal any from Facebook. And I really will still try to send you a couple when I have a chance to borrow my mom's computer (since I loaded all my pictures on hers because she has editing software and I don't).
Next order of business. There's not really much to report at the moment. I got a new library card, which I am super excited about using, because I haven't been to the library in years, and I miss it. Even if I don't ever get to work there, I still love the environment. And I'm still thinking about volunteering there to try and get an in, as well as applying again in the near future. I'm just a reader at heart, I guess, and can't give up on the idea of working somewhere with books.
I feel like updating my movie and book list, since I haven't in a while. I'm currently reading The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, who happens to be my brother-in-law's cousin. Which is kinda cool. While I haven't finished it yet, I have to say, I really like it so far. The chapters switch from when the narrator was a little girl in the foster care system in San Francisco to the present as she is trying to transition to being on her own after aging out of the system. And it doesn't feel awkward at all. Sometimes I hate when stories switch back and forth because I can get a little confused about timelines. But this one is not confusing. And having read Shakespeare, the whole Victorian language of flowers element of the story is really interesting to me. No one uses it anymore, because it fell out of fashion, but it's so interesting to learn the different meanings that flowers and plants had when given in bouquets. Honestly, I would recommend it, even though I'm not done.
I'm still working on reading The Last Song. I got distracted when I had the chance to read The Help and just haven't picked it up again yet. But I plan to. And Gone with the Wind is also on the back burner for a while. I should really start reading for a larger percentage of the day, since I have so much else to do (sarcasm intended).
I went to Puss in Boots Friday with my cousin Holly, which was fun. It was better than I anticipated, though I don't know if I would say it's as good as the first Shrek. I have also recently been to Moneyball, which I thought was excellent (though beware the f-bomb. I think there was only one and it was in the first 30 minutes, but I can't remember for sure). I went to Real Steel a couple of weeks ago with an old work friend, and also enjoyed that more than I expected.
There has been more that I've read or seen in the last several months, but those are the ones I remember right now.

2 comments:

Camille said...

No worries Karalee! I stole a few off of facebook, but I am still hoping to get a picture of your whole family, one of just your parents and one of Elyse, Adam and Keegan together. And also a few candid of you and Wes...although I was able to get a few off facebook of those. Thanks!!!

P.S. Working in a library would be awesome! I am always looking for something good to read too...The Help was awesome!

Karalee said...

I will try (really, really hard) to remember to send you some tomorrow.