Saturday, August 13, 2011

Why I Don't Miss Middle School

Okay, so the last post got turned into two. They just didn't fit together.
This week I have kept really busy. Mom and Dad went into school Monday morning, and I tagged along. We ran into the principal, Mrs. Battle, who wanted to know if I was planning on helping with registration this year. I said I wasn't doing anything else, and that I was looking for a job, so she told me to talk to the financial secretary and see if she could use me. I ended up at school almost every day this week.
Monday night was so much fun. I had been uninterested in what we were doing for FHE in my YSA ward, and really didn't want to go, but had promised another girl in my ward that I would give her a ride. The plan was to hike Ensign Peak.
Don't get me wrong. I really like hiking and camping and all, when I can do it at my own pace. And I like hiking more if there are gradual inclines, which is not the case with Ensign Peak, even if it is a short hike, and not really hard. It gets my Asthma problems going when there are steep sections. And then I get sick. I hate feeling like I'm being whiny, but my body just doesn't like it. And I always end up being the last person up. Blah.
Anyway, needless to say, I was not excited. I reluctantly headed over to pick up my friend, and drove up to the street where you park to go hike the Peak. We were the first people there, but my friend Jeff wasn't far behind. He brought his camera along and took some cool pictures of an old truck that was parked up there. We talked about photography. I'm really interested in learning more about it, and Jeff took a class in college as an elective. He also started a photography group that I plan on participating in as much as time allows. (On a side note, we went on a road trip last weekend to the Mt. Neebo Loop and took pictures. More that I will have to post at some point. It was so much fun!)
Eventually, more people showed up and we got ready to head up. We listened to a guy who was on the board that worked on building the monument talk about the significance of Ensign Peak, and started the hike. Thank goodness my Relief Society president is patient and super sweet. We started at the front, but that only lasted a few minutes. As I knew it would. We made it halfway a lot quicker than I made it the last time I hiked there. And then we hit the spot that always gets to me, about 3/4 of the way up. The one major incline. I got nauseous and had to sit down and just breath for a while. But I made it. Last, as always.
I really had fun, though. I got to talk to my Relief Society president more. Which was fun. And I got to the top and got to talk to a bunch of people in my ward. It was nice to just get there and relax for a while. Plus, a guy I have admittedly kind of had a little thing for asked for my number and said he'd like to go out some time. Still waiting for him to call or text me, but I'm pretty sure he will. I get antsy, but I have to tell myself he wouldn't ask me if he wasn't at least a little interested.
Tuesday I helped mom clean off her desk.
Wednesday, I helped with registration. It was... interesting. I ended up being put right on the front line. I had to verify students' vaccination records and make copies. Fun fun. Especially when you get parents who get angry about filling out paper work, and you're not totally sure how to explain the reason for the paper work. It was fun to see some of the kids in the neighborhood up there. Only a few of them go to Bryant, since we don't actually live in their boundaries. But the few I saw were nice to me, and spoke English, which was also one of the things I had a hard time with. It's hard to communicate with someone when there is any kind of language barrier. Thankfully, I had someone who spoke Spanish with me, so we were covered on some bases, at least. But that didn't help with the guy who just moved here from Korea or the other Asian families that came in.
Thursday was more of the same, but not quite as crazy. Most people came the first day. I do have to say, watching the students reminded me of all the drama involved in middle school. I can't remember specific things, but wow, kids that age are full of drama. I don't miss middle school at all. Especially because 8th grade was about the worst year of school I ever had, simply because I went through it with no friends for most of the year. Yep, gotta love middle school drama...
Friday I spent the day working around the house, and today (Saturday), I went back up to Bryant to volunteer for a Fidelity community involvement thing. We painted stuff and built stuff. Mostly I painted. I was with Mom in the gym and we painted silhouettes of sports players on the walls. They look really cool. We got stuck in traffic surrounding the Tour of Utah bike race (I won't get in to my dislike of bicyclists...) and got home around three. Then I took like an hour long nap, knowing I would be up late because Elyse and Adam and Keegan are getting back from a trip to Hawaii tonight (they went to see Adam's mom get sealed to her new husband, and then just had a nice little family vacation... except that it sounds like the usual drama at Adam's family get togethers came up again... I'm so glad our family is not like that, and I hope that when I get married, my in-laws aren't like that either. Not that Adam's family can't be nice. But they tend to have a lot of disagreements).

No comments: