Sunday, May 27, 2012

Heartbreak

I can't believe there are only about four more days before Elyse, Adam and Keegan begin the trek to Kentucky. It's really starting to hit me how much I'm really going to miss them.
Mom, Dad and I went up to Logan today. Adam's grandfather passed away last Saturday, and his family held a memorial for him this morning. I went mostly because I knew this would be one of the last times I would get to spend time with them before they leave. I kept Keegan from running out in front of cars and stealing flags or pinwheels from graves. We ended up sitting in the car for most of the service because it started raining and Keegan was screaming because he wanted it to stop (even though it wasn't raining very hard. He kept yelling for someone to turn it off). He honked the horn a few times (had to stop that too, as funny as it was) and generally found buttons to push to keep him entertained. Afterward we went to lunch with Adam's mom and step-dad and had a nice time just talking.
We came home and decided to go see Men in Black III, which I enjoyed. On the way home, though, dad kept bringing up the move, and I had a hard time not getting overly emotional about it. I knew it would be hard, but I wasn't anticipating feeling quite this sad about them moving so far away. Up to now, I've focused mostly on being happy for the opportunities they have coming up. But it breaks my heart a little to know that I won't get to see them, and especially Keegan, for quite a while. I am going to miss him running to me and giving me hugs and snuggling me when he's sleepy or sad. I hope he won't forget that he's my little buddy, and that he'll still do that when I get to see him again. It makes me sad that he'll do so much growing up so far away from me.
Thankfully they have decided to join the family on Monday for Memorial Day festivities, so I will still get to see my little buddy one more time. I hope I will be able to get through the next few days. I know things will be ok, and I'm going to do my best to make sure that I can stay close to them while they're in Kentucky, but it's still hard. I really hope they'll come back someday.

No comments: