Sunday, May 6, 2012

In the Words of Keegan... Oh My Crap

That title just struck me as I was trying to think of something to call this post. I'm running low on creativity lately, and we were talking about funny things that Keegan says last night while watching something on Netflix. He's into this copying everything you say stage. And he's also very straightforward about things he wants right now, which is funny to see, but can also be very frustrating when he's so single minded about something. Like yesterday, we got some lunch from Burger King, and he came over to me wanting me to pick him up and help him get something. I thought I knew what he wanted, but I wanted him to ask for it nicely. He just kept pointing vaguely in the direction of my drink and whining, so I told him he needed to say what he wanted, and he hit me because he was sure I knew and didn't want to say it. He is very much a two year old right now.
Elyse has told me some pretty funny stories about what he says and does recently. Here are just a few:  He wanted shoes like his cousin Craig so bad that he kept asking Elyse for them, saying, "Want like a Craig," and making a sad face. Elyse said she couldn't resist. He was too cute. Friday, before they came to our house for a couple days, he took a can of coke and poured it on his new toy microwave (which they needed to get because he would not leave the real one alone and had figured out how to turn it on, microwaving things that are really not meant to be microwaved). Now the buttons and light and sounds don't work. But by far my favorite recent Keegan story is of them watching General Conference and him picking up the phrase "Oh my God" from one of the talks. He went around saying that for several days before they told him that Heavenly Father has a special name that we only use sometimes, and explained to him when it was appropriate to use His name. I'm sure he only got half of the explanation, but he has stopped saying it all the time, at least.
This wasn't really the point of this post. I had meant to complain about Friday and stress about work, but I feel a lot better about that now. I guess finding a title for the post helped, because now I don't feel the need to sit and complain. Little kids are great for distracting me from the hard, grown-up parts of life and getting me to forget about my problems and just enjoy the moment. Even a two year old has his problems and frustrations with life. And it makes me think, maybe this is how Heavenly Father sees us when we are having our struggles and wishes we could just pause and see the humor in some of the frustrating situations in our lives. I am sure He has a sense of humor about things, the way most parents do, and that He loves us in the same way we love the little children in our lives and just wants us to be happy and make our way back to Him.

No comments: