Saturday, April 3, 2010

Beta Guys and a Talk with an Old Friend

I've had a lot of fun this week. As I wrote earlier, it was nice to have my home teachers over, and FHE was good. Work has been interesting (and not in a bad way). Wednesday we had a nice spirituality activity in sorority and yesterday we did swing with the guys from Beta. (PS, for my Dearden family members, one of the Beta guys is a second cousin. I can't remember who his dad is, but I know he's Uncle Mel's grandson. I feel a little guilty forgetting names, but I haven't seen him in a while).
Beta is my favorite frat to do stuff with. A lot of the girls from my chapter have gone on dates with the Beta guys. We were on their team for Battle of the Chapters. And we've done two exchanges with them this semester. Swing was awesome! We went out after swing dancing to Red Robin which was fun. It was laid back (well, except for the fact that when we got there the kitchen was about to close and there wasn't much time for decision making) and nice to just have good conversation with the people at the table. We ended up planning a semi-spontaneous Rock Band night at one of the guy's houses for Friday.
After I got off work today and before heading to our Rock Band fest, I was on Windows Live Messenger, and my friend Everett started talking to me. It's been a while since we talked. I'm never sure why we go such long periods without talking to each other. I think we just stink at communicating. But it was nice to talk to him for a while.
He's changed a lot since we first met in junior high. I don't think he's active in the church at all. He changed his name (I still feel weird about that, but it's his choice, I guess). He got a tatoo at one point and thought I would disown him. Seriously, I don't understand this. I'm not sure when I ever gave him the impression that I was so fickle as to stop being someone's friend just because I don't agree with them.
In the course of our conversation, I found out that he is engaged. They're not sure when they're getting married, but he told me the plan is to get married in Disneyland. I'm super excited for him. I can tell he's happy. At the same time, I feel a little sad that he's changed so much that Disneyland is his top option, instead of the temple. Maybe some day that will change. For now, I feel like just being his friend is a good thing. Because I do care about him a lot, no matter how silly I think he is being sometimes. And I hope we'll keep in better touch.
Around 9:00 I headed out and spent the rest of the night playing Rock Band, talking about the ins and outs of dating, and just generally having a good time. I'm hoping the rest of my week will be just as awesome.

2 comments:

Jani said...

Hey I have a friend like that also. He is going upward now though. I realized that it wasnt that he really thinks you wont be his friend if he does something that he knows you dont believe in, he feels guilty and knows that it is kind of disappointing to you so he is embaressed to tell you.

Karalee said...

I think I am realizing that more now. That'a true. And I guess that means that maybe progress for him is still a possibility.