I've been stuck on Relient K for days. Ever since the concert, actually. And I think it really helps that their music is so positive. I've kind of needed that musical lift the last week or so. I guess I can't really complain. (I've been a little fan-girly, but oh, I love them so much! It makes me happy... deal with it)
I always thought Christian rock bands were completely ridiculous until I discovered these guys. When they first started out, they were very Christian. Seriously, pretty much every song on their earlier albums mentioned Christ. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it surprising to me that they have been able to gain such a big following.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Christian music is just not cool in the main stream of music. At least not the obviously Christian stuff. And I don't really know why this is. People tell me it's not the case, but I know I often feel like being Christian, or really religious at all, isn't really cool. Not that what people think matters all that much. I know what I believe, and frankly that's the thing that really matters, not whether it's cool or not.
Relient K has gotten a little more mainstram, especially on their last two albums. But they are still positive. No swearing, and their songs are still about positive things. And you can still tell religion is a big part of who they are. And I guess in some ways I like this, because it means I get more of their music. More people are willing to listen to it and get interested in it. And you know, then people might get interested in their older stuff and see why they're so good and what really motivates these guys (religion and a quirky sense of humor).
I don't really know where I was going with this... I guess I just wanted to share that I had something that was able to lift me up even in the funk I've been in lately. It really is surprising how music can effect us so completely. I'm grateful for little things that can help me brace myself for the storm that home is right now. And that remind me, there's a home that's better than what I have right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment