Friday, May 14, 2010

Trying to See the Glass Half Full

So, as you may have noticed, things are not going well on the roommate front. I won't go into it anymore because I just don't even want to think about it. I'm tired of being blamed for everything going wrong and told that I'm going to see things the way I want to see them and essentially being told I'm over reacting because I stood up for myself a little. I was upset when I responded to what went down last night/this morning, and may have said things I regret a little, but I felt a little justified too, and I don't feel like I should have to apologize, especially because she's already telling me she's sorry for the way I do things.
I am trying to make the best of it, even though its hard and I don't feel totally up to it. My mom suggested making a list of things I like about myself and things that make me a good friend. I'm not doing this to make anyone see things the way I do or to say I'm better than anyone else. Just to put things in perspective for myself.
Things I like about myself:
  • I like that I can read.
  • I like that I have some writing talent.
  • I like that I'm quiet.
  • I like that I'm reserved.
  • I like being someone who can play a supporting role sometimes.
  • I like that I can remember what it was like to be a kid and have fun with them.
  • I like that I'm patient, or that I at least try very hard to be.
  • I like my hair (although its ready for a cut).
  • I like my little hands.
  • I like my little feet.
  • I like that I have the ability to stay interested in something I enjoy. Like English and History, for example.
  • I like that I think things through before I act.
  • I like that I'm passionate about the things I love.
  • I like that I can play the violin and sing.
  • I like that I have grown so much in the last year (to a point where I would stand up for myself a little).
  • I like that I'm kindhearted.
  • I like that I can cry about things sometimes.
  • I like that I am a decent swing dancer, and hope to improve and get more active.
  • I like that I have imagination.

I should probably do more, but I'm having a hard time, and twenty was ten more than I originally intended. Sometimes it's hard to really think about the good things about yourself. Although I do realize that I should let myself shine more and not be so afraid of who I really am. I have as much right to shine and be my best self as anyone does. Being ashamed of myself , being negative about myself, never helped anyone.

As I have been writing this, I realized how much God loves me. I miss it sometimes. I'm too busy or focused on other things to notice that He's really trying to be there for me when I need it most.

I just really realized that he's been trying to tell me that I'm worth something and that I'm cared about this week. I may have had the nasty messages from "Lydia", but I've had a few friends talk to me and tell me they missed me this week, too. And the thing that really made me realize this just now was that an old high school friend just sent me a message and asked how my day went. It's been a while since I talked to her. She couldn't have known how much I needed that tonight. People really can be Angels and help us, even without knowing we need them or how much we need them, or in what way we need them.

1 comment:

Karalee said...

As an after thought, I also now realize I don't have the most awesomly horrible roommates in the history of roommates. My high school friend told me some pretty awesome horror stories.